Grandma's Threonine
Essential Amino Acid Guide

Threonine is an essential amino acid that helps to maintain the proper protein balance in the body. It is important for the formation of collagen and elastin, and aids liver and lipotropic function when combined with aspartic acid and methionine.

The commonly known amino acids are combined in various ways to create the hundreds of different types of proteins present in all living things.

In the human body, the liver produces about 80 percent of the amino acids needed. The remaining 20 percent must be obtained from human nutrition.

Threonine is present in the heart, central nervous system, and skeletal muscle, and helps to prevent fatty buildup in the liver. It enhances the immune system by aiding in the production of antibodies.

Because the threonine content of grains is low; vegetarians are more likely than others to have deficiencies.


screen resolution stats

Return from Threonine to Amino Acids

Return to Grandma's Herbal Remedies Home

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.